Insight iLOG Junior allows KS2 children to see the effect of sensing and timing data and their graph shapes by the innovative use of engaging animations. It helps pupils develop their ability to interpret the story of a graph in a meaningful context.
Pupils who use Insight iLOG Junior in science experiments spend much more time talking about the science – both about what is happening and speculating about what is likely to happen.
Insight iLOG Junior supports more data-logging interfaces from more hardware manufacturers than any other similar software, so you can be sure you will be able to use both old and new data-logging hardware from all the leading suppliers.
It gives ready access to:
- A variety of logging modes for collecting data
- A built-in library of set-up files for experiments, complete with on-screen instructions
- Libraries of data files and online resources
- Demonstrations videos
- Interactive information about the connected interface and sensors
- Cartoon movies, unique to iLOG Junior
This series of short videos with audio commentaries demonstrates how to perform a range of data collection activities with the program.
This is a quick-reference guide on how to use the main tools in the program for making observations and analysing collected data.
Intelligent interface selection and sensor checking
iLOG works with an expanded range of manufacturers’ interfaces, loggers and sensors and incorporates new driver software. The new intelligent recognition facility provides automatic identification of the type of logger and connection port in use. Thumbnail images give visual confirmation of the logger type and the connected sensors. A test button on the Control panel facilitates a quick check that sensors are working.
New logging modes
In addition to the usual range of logging modes (real-time, snapshot, remote, timing and motion, manual entry), two new modes have been added:
- Virtual logging simulates logging, but draws data from a source in the user’s computer or network
- Online logging simulates logging, but draws data from a source on the Internet
As well as allowing users to write notes and comments on the data, this has many new features facilitating the presentation of on-screen worksheets and instructions for data-logging activities. The new format allows the inclusion of images, movies and online resources.
The presentation of data in the graph window is the major method of observing results. The new graph window offers several enhanced methods of adjusting the graph appearance:
- A choice of showing sets of data in separate graphs or all combined in one graph
- Quick access menus for selecting graph axes
- Auto zoom and auto scale options for making data show up clearly, during or after logging
- Stretch and squeeze actions for altering axes scales
- Key window for identifying data and adjusting their appearance
- Library of Set-up, Data and Movie files
- The extensive library of iLOG files is available by thumbnail selection for easy recognition. Files provide a valuable resource of exemplar activities with the program useful for demonstration, for practice or for pupil group work. All set-up files contain on-screen instructions for the activity in attractive layouts.
Enhanced user interface
Building on successful experience with their Insight predecessors, iLOG programs incorporate numerous minor improvements which have a major impact on user friendliness. There are significant improvement in the performance of the toolbars, Chart window, Large digits window, Input sensors selection, Timespan selection, status messages, progress indicator and keyboard short-cuts.
|Software ratings and reviews are shown below. If you wish to rate this software please click the 'Rate this software' link.
||Rate this software